Saturday, March 11, 2017

Year 17, Week 07, Day One (week 893)

Year 17, Week 07, Day One (week 893)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
02-25-17 Saturday
   
    Lows in high 60s, highs in high70s, puffs of clouds with bright blue sky between them. This weather report is brought to you by the City of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.   
   
    This week, I finally finished the scarf I mentioned last week. I got a chance to re-ball the yarn while ripping the edging out to where it started, and then had to  restart the edging three times before I got it right. When you are stitching a project, you choose how many stitches tall it is going to be. A single stitch is one stitch tall. Double stitch is two stitches tall, and Triple stitch is three stitches tall. There are also half stitches possible between those, if you choose. I made the rows of this scarf all double stitch in height. What I was doing on the first attempt to edge it, was to have four and five stitches between each row of the yarn. They don’t fit. It forces the fabric to curl.
    What I ended up doing after all the failed attempts, is following the rules and having only two stitches of edging between rows of double stitch. It came out nicely. One really doesn’t notice the multiple colored edges. One can see if it one were to look at it, but very few people will bother to do that. I like the way this scarf came out. Mixing colors of rows really makes the red show. The black edging topped it off.
   
   
    I went out yard sailing after breakfast.
     Electronics of any kind are a gamble to buy second hand. Just about anything can be wrong with them. I picked up a laptop just on a chance that it might work. They said it was wiped and they had the installation disks. I assumed that even the operating system was gone. I was wrong. It has Windows XP, which is quite usable, but it has a few little problems caused by some missing software. I just need to do some work on it and it will be good enough for showing video for a group.    
   
    At another yard sale I picked up some face shields, which I can use with the lathe, and wire wheels that fit an angle grinder. We could have used that not long ago.
   
    I found a really nice cast iron fry pan. This is heavy, well made and well designed. It has a good season on it.  I said a while back that I don’t need any more pans. That, is very true, but I had a weak moment. At another place, I found a tortilla pan that is really rusty. They are easy to clean up. Remember the wire brushes for the angle grinder? I got it for a song. Since I can’t carry a tune in a bucket, it was a good deal.
    I have a couple lamps that need new shades, so I found a couple that are in good condition.
   
    Several of the yard sales were of people who have had them before. One of them was a friend I developed by visiting her often.  Many people have one yard sale, possibly a year, others have them every few months. There are a few that have yard sales every weekend that has good weather. You get to know who they are and develop a comradery with them over time.
   
    I was found a wayward bin that was laying around, left by someone else at one time. I found it contained , among other things, a set of really fine dishes. I think I counted 54 pieces. Now all that is needed is a situation where bringing these out is worth the effort.....
   
    I will have to see what I do tomorrow.




Year 17, Week 07, Day One (week 893)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
02-25-17 Saturday
   
   
    I did not notice the weather. I’ve been fighting my computers all day. Little glitches cropped up and it is taking time to figure out what the problem is.


    I have two knife blocks I picked up years and years ago, and have used heavily ever since. They are a design where a space the knives go into  is filled with tiny plastic rods. One just stabs the knives into it and the rods move around the blades and hold them in place. I decided I would disassemble the blocks and clean them up properly. I expected rods to fly everywhere. Instead, the rods are in a bundle glued in a plastic base. That makes assembly easier. I cleaned everything up and intend to put them back together later this week.
   
     I will have to see what I do next week.
   
    803


 The finished scarf I just loved the red and had to add the other colors to show it off.
 The rusty pan is a tortilla pan. easy to clean up. the black pan is high quality. It had to have been expensive new as it is heavy and solid.
 face masks wire brushes along with a few other things I picked up.
 lamp shades. now I have my hats for the next party......
Dish set I found in a bin.

No comments: