Sunday, April 23, 2017

Year 17, Week 13, Day One (week 899)

Year 17, Week 13, Day One (week 899)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
04-08-17 Saturday
   
    72 early morning, 81 late afternoon. Some sun but the sun was mostly behind clouds. A light breeze made it nice. This weather report is brought to you by The City of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.
   
    I followed the full circle of my big yard sale route. I hit several in the northern section and just got carried away in following the southern part of the route. I ended up stopping at 14 yard sales, which included a library book sale. I intended to stop by later at the book sale as they were going to have all the books that will fit in a bag for a dollar. We just never made it back.   
   
    One yard sale gave me some interesting ideas. They had some teddy bears where the faces and feet were of wood and the rest were stuffed. They were real cute. Their price was more than I wanted to go up to, and they were selling them for half price. I checked on line and it was true. I took pictures of just one off the six or seven others that they had. This one had the artist’s signature quite visible.
    The idea I have is to make wooden faces, and crocheting bodies for them. It will never happen as I don’t have the time, but it is an interesting idea to try.
   
    At different yard sales, I picked up some garbage cans, a wire paper-towel holder, a fish frying basket for the grill, a set of three nested glass bowls, and a grill pan set for the toaster oven. There was also a wooden rocking chair. I could not pass it up for that price.
   
    At a yard sale for a church, they had mostly Christmas stuff. They had a bin of metal cookie cutters. I checked and there was about six designs, which I already have.

    After I had gotten back, we all took a short nap, then went out to dinner. We went to a place we heard about, but had never been to. It was called Byrd’s Muddy Waters. It is all a nautical motif and the food was good. One neat thing was that the corridor to the bathroom was all painted black, then had underwater fish and critter scenes painted in glow-in-the-dark paint and they had black lights illuminating them.  I do intend to go back there again.
   
    I will have to see what to do tomorrow.
   



Year 17, Week 13, Day One (week 899)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
04-09-17 Sunday
   
    72 early morning, 79 late afternoon. Some sun but the sun was mostly behind clouds. A light breeze made it nice. The weather considered threatening early on, but held off until the afternoon. We got a “mist.” A cloud considered watering our plants but it mist. This weather report is brought to you by The City of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.
   
    I stopped at a yard sale on the way up. They were not fully set up. It was all I could do to not grab a bundle of knitting needles. I have more than I could ever use, even if I was knitting. She mentioned that she only did it a tiny bit and really did not know how to do it.  I suggested that she get with one of the churches. Some of them have knitting and crochet groups that make things for hospitals, newborn babies and such. They teach how to do it right. 
   
    I felt lazy and lounged around, listening to the radio and napping.
   
    Later in the day, Mom dragged  me outside. She was trying to trim her Clearodendron tree and was having serious problems. Her sawsall had little guts, but now it had a stripped gear so it would run but the blade would not move. She said sh tried to use a handsaw but her shoulder told her not to do that. I took out a hand saw and cut the remaining branches. You can put your hand around the trunk as it is small.
    This tree sends up branches straight up and then spreads out. We had trimmed this tree many times and there were nice balls where the branches kept coming out. We cut a few below the ball. I forced myself not to save any of the wood as it is not the best wood to carve or turn. It is a soft weak wood. We broke some branches with our hands to fit in the garbage can. It has a year to send up branches and set flower again..

    I had to go home and take care of some work so that ended my day.

   
    Will see what happens next weekend.
   
    808



I saw this teddy bear with wooden face and feet. gives me ideas.
 A bin full of cookie cutters.
 yard sale finds, paper-towel holder, fish basket, garbage cans, glass bowls, and toaster oven pan set
Figuring in front of Byrd’s Muddy Waters in Pompano beach.

No comments: