Sunday, May 21, 2017

Year 17, Week 18, Day One (week 904)

Year 17, Week 18, Day One (week 904)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
05-13-17 Saturday
   
    76 degrees early morning 86 late afternoon. Interlaced feather and spilt milk, filled the morning sky. They consolidated into puffs over the everglades,, with blue sky above. The puffs then spread over the sky with lots of blue sky between. Strong breezes built up late in the day, 18 mph with gusts at 26. Radar showed a shockwave-front crossing the state. It should pass tonight by the rate it was moving. This weather report is brought to you by the City of Pompano Beach department of Tourism..
   
    I drove my normal yard sale route and only stopped at four yard sales. There were three that never have anything different so I did not stop at them. I saw some signs for some sales but could not find any of them.
    There was one yard sale that a guy had several sales and I had a question of him, but am not sure what house his was, so I go through his neighborhood, which is at the south end of the run in hopes he has another yard sale. This causes me to drive the whole route.
    At one I picked up a few necklaces some had owls on them. Another had an elephant and a third had a deer on it. These may end up being gifts.
    At a different yard sale I picked up a cane, which I decided could stay in the truck, and a tree-topper angel that was nice.  I gave that to Mom.
    Once home, I took a nap and then we went to Walmart. On the way there, we saw a yard sale. On the way back from our Walmart trip,  we stopped and had a look at what they had. I ended up getting a dremmel-style motor tool with a bunch of bits, and a Harbor freight mini motor, a paper towel holder and a package of dowels. With what I ended up with, it was a nice deal.
   
    While driving on my route, I was going at about 25 mph. It dawned on me that it was less than three centuries ago that this was breakneck speed. People would have been thrilled at going this fast. What is more, I did it for most of an hour, which they would never have been able to do. Horses cannot run at full speed that long. They might be able to do it by swapping horses after a distance, but it was work. Nowadays this is irritatingly slow.
   
    I was involved in some non-project activities so I have nothing to report for the rest of my day.
   
    I will see what I accomplish tomorrow.   
   


Year 17, Week 18, Day One (week 904)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
05-14-17 Sunday
   
    Mostly cloudy. The front passed last night and watered mom’s plants. I forgot to look at the temps. I am sure it was between 75 and 88, This weather report is brought to you by the City of Pompano Beach department of Tourism..
   
    I laid out my cast iron pans to take a picture, and realize there are many missing I will have to search storage a little more to find them. The big result of photographing my collection, is the realization that I have no need to get any more cast iron, unless it is something special. They were heavy enough that I had to use a handcart to take them in them, in three trips each way, rather than twenty to get these pictures. They add up to being very heavy.
   
    Family arrived not long after I arrived at Mom’s. We watched HOW ITS MADE and we  talked a lot. My niece  helped Mom with some programs. I later had to help her some more.
    Mom has the problem that she uses the computer about twenty minutes a day and mostly E-mail and Facebook. She has problems remembering how to do things she does once a week or once a month. Part of the problem of helping her is that I like the mouse or trackball, and she loves the touch pad. I have problems with the touchpad. It does not do what I want it to do.
   
    It is nice to be able to use some of the things you have. A grocery store I go to has developed a section of an isle filled with Arab products. They have a coffee I found I like that is Cardamon coffee. Their dark is like expresso and ground ultra fine. The light is more like a tea almost no roasting to the coffee, with leaves visible and is course. I found that if I grind the light really fine in my coffee grinder and then mix the two, the combination is really good. It ends up as a normal strength coffee with lots of the Cardamon flavor.
    When I use my coffee grinder I dump each batch of ground coffee into a zipper bag. When done, I then empty the zipper back into the container. It saves a lot of mess that way. The grinder has a big mouth while the baggy can be adjusted to fit the container I am dumping into.
    I make the coffee at work in the morning and I make an extra pot of flavored coffee. I think I am up to eight to ten different flavors now.  Some are not great, but you don’t appreciate the really good stuff until you have had some lesser flavors.

    I finished another teddy bear dress. It was too loose for the bear I was using as a model, but I had a fatter, squatter, bear and it fits on that one, with the skirt at ankle length.  These clothes is an easy project to crochet, but difficult enough to be a challenge. I have to locate a pattern I had for teddy bears. The bottom part of the pattern makes for fairly good pants.
   
    With the turning club meeting Thursday, I should have some ideas for the weekend. I have a piece of wood I need to talk about one of the “masters” about. I want to get the most out of and need recommendations.
   
    I will see what I do next weekend.
   
    1054
   
    

 Part of my cast iron cookware collection. There are pieces missing from this picture.
the motor tool kit. these were all in one purchase, with a few other items.

No comments: