Sunday, March 25, 2018

Year 18, Week 10, Day One (week 950)

Year 18, Week 10, Day One (week 950)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
03-24-18 Saturday


61 degrees early morning, 78 late after noon. Sunny, nice breeze. Some clouds early morning which were gone before noon. Over the past few weeks, we have gotten some chilly weather. A few down below our 56 degree frost temperature we have here. It is always fun to see frosty palm trees.  We got the cold weather each time the northeast got their snow. A thin wave of a front would pass over us, about a county wide, and be gone before half the day was gone. This Weather report is brought to you by the City Of Pompano Beach Department Of Tourism.


After Breakfast, I went out on my own. At one yard sale, I picked up two granite cutting boards. I had wanted something like them for years. Now that I have them, I am now having after thoughts about using them. I like wood as they are easy on the knife edge. I picked up a couple tools at another. 
During the first yard sale run, (I stopped back at home half way through for a pit stop since I was just a few blocks away)  I noticed I could tell the northerners from the southerners. the southerners had coats or at least sleeves. Once the sun was up, it warmed up quickly. While it was still cool, I drove most of the way with the window open. My truck has electric windows. I do see I have one little problem. I am so used to leaving the truck and simply hitting the button to lock it, I don't remember to wind up the windows, which must be done with the power on. Something to keep in mind.

There was a "community" yard sale, at a condo that had about ten people out. I picked up a pair of hot pads that a woman's friend had made. She said she did not want to ruin them by using them. They are boys clothes and girls clothes in crochet. I thought that my teddy bears would fit in them. When I got them home, I tried a bear in the dress and found that there is no hole in the body where the arms attach.. They are really cute and are giving me ideas.
I also got one of those rolling walkers where it has a seat. I had a friend who had mentioned they were interested in it. It was a really low price.
At some of the yard sales, I parked quite a distance away as there were so many cars. I ran into the situation where it was a nothing walk to the yard sale, but when I headed back, I was shocked how far I was parked away. I almost thought someone moved my truck. I made no attempt to park close at the yard sales to take advantage of easy parking.. 
The local library had a book sale this weekend. I picked up a few books. There was half the books they had last time. I told them the joke, "An author knows his book is bad when he donates his book to the library and he finds them in the next book sale." One of the woman said “that sometimes that happens.”
Before I got home, I was feeling the workout I did. I skipped a couple yard sales at the last leg of the trip. 
I mentioned the community yard sale to mom. She decided she wanted to see it. When we got there,  some people had already packed up. 

We then went to a Japanese buffet that recently opened. It was more expensive than we are used to. The food was good, but we really wanted a different set of flavors. I have said many times that “Sushi is a way to get the elite to eat rice.” Of course, we had to park a distance away since a popular grocery store was nearby. That meant I had to walk a good distance on my already tired legs. Then at the buffet, you have to walk to get your food. 
I don’t plan to do much more walking tonight.

I will see what I do tomorrow.




Year 18, Week 10, Day One (week 950)
(January 17, 2000 was my first carving day.)
03-25-18 Sunday

I went back to that moving sale I visited yesterday and last week. I could have gotten a whole bunch of tools and get them cheap, but held off. I had seen a sawsall and had talked myself out of it since I already have three. I decided If it was there, I would get it anyway. It was gone. I had some money in my pocket and should have helped him by cleaning out a lot of the hand tools. I gave most of the ones I got last week to my brother. I did get a couple items. He was happy to be rid of them. 

I am not moving well after yesterday’s exertions. From the time of the hurricane to Christmas, I was not walking hardly at all because of the foot infections I had. I ended up, after being healed,  not being able to walk any distance without discomfort. The infections are gone, but I have not done enough to get back into shape. Yesterday I was reminded about how bad a shape I still am at. I am working on it, but not enough.

I took the rest of the day off, accomplishing nothing important.  One thing I did was I had some accumulated batches of yarn I picked up over the past few months that were not put away. I also have some project yarn in the truck. I gathered all that yarn, some in bags, some loose and poured them all out. The project bag that was in the truck was showing the effects of sun and heat so I chose another bag. I did not want a bigger bag but I am not sure where smaller bags might be located. Just as I suspected, the amount of yarn and stuff the project bag ended up with was more than before. “Oh, that is a good color, I also need cotton, but if I don’t have that color, I might wish I had it.” on and on. Now I can work on new projects. 
One thing I did do is stick a set of knitting needles in there. There is a project partially done by a beginner with the needles still in place. My intention when I bought it a couple years ago was to use it to learn how to knit. Get the act of knitting down first, then work at other things such as starting and finishing.  I hope that sometime I will find the time to try it out. Looking at the way things have been going with my schedule, It will likely sitting at the hospital, keeping someone company or when we have a power out. Or possibly waiting for some work to be done on the truck.
The scarf I’ve been working on is just about finished. I just have to weave in the tails where I swapped colors. Previously, I left the yarns attached. I decided that when I finished a row, I would clip it and then start the next color. Now I have to weave in the ends. 
I am planning on making some teddy bear clothing. I will do a design I have in mind already planned, then I might try to copy those hot pads next. The rest of the yarn is sort-of put away. 
I have learned with any craft or hobby. If you choose your project, then look at the stock you have, you don’t have anything to work with. On the other hand, if you look at the stock you have, and pick a project that will use it, you will have a lifetime’s worth of stock. What I really need to do is retire and spend all my time wood working and crochet. 


I will see what I will do next week.
1365

No comments: